The Federal Government has just increased its funding for Sheds. The full announcement by Health Minister Greg Hunt is quoted below.
There are now four categories of funding:
- The National Shed Development Programme grants, now $1m per year in two rounds. These grants are administered by AMSA but are open to all Sheds. An application must be made.
- $900,000 per year to run AMSA.
- New funding for defibrillators in SHeds that don’t have them ($2m, once off).
- New funding for regional co-ordinators in each state and territory, to give direct assistance to Sheds ($1.5m over 4 years, which is likely to result in a little more than a half-time position for each state and territory.).
It is not yet clear whether these coordinators will be employed by AMSA or the state associations.
Here is the full text of the Minister’s announcement.
Announcement by the Hon Greg Hunt, Federal Minister for Health
The Morrison Government is continuing to support the Men’s Shed movement with today’s announcement of successful grant recipients under the National Shed Development Programme.
In the latest round, 135 Men’s Sheds across Australia will share in $500,000 in grants that will help buy tools and equipment, maintain infrastructure, coordinate training and host community activities about men’s health issues.
Grant rounds are held twice a year, and eligible men’s sheds are eligible to apply for grants of up to $10,000 with priority given to sheds in disadvantaged areas.
Since 2013, the Government has provided $4.92 million to support Men’s Sheds through this programme.
Men’s Sheds are places where men can find social support and camaraderie while engaged in meaningful projects.
On average, one in eight men will experience depression and one in five men will experience anxiety at some stage of their lives. The number of men who die by suicide in Australia every year is nearly double the national road toll.
In this year’s budget the Morrison Government announced continued and expanded funding to support the Men’s Shed movement ($11.1 million over 4 years).
The funding consists of the following:
- Funding to men’s sheds through the National Shed Development Programme will be continued, and increased to $1 million per year for years ($4 million over 4 years);
- $1.5 million to fund regional coordinators at the grassroots level in each state and territory which aims to provide direct assistance in men’s shed;
- $3.6 million to the Australian Men’s Shed Association in supporting to support Sheds at a national level;
- $2 million to equip every Men’s Shed in Australia with a portable defibrillator.
The Morrison Government is able to provide unprecedented levels of support to men’s health because of our strong economic management.